Saturday, December 18, 2004

The Perils of Ph.D. Studies

I start to fret my blogs will be filled with only my complaints about studying.

It's not that I want to discourage anyone from pursuing their Ph.D. goal, I just want to let them know upfront before they take a plunge that they have to be prepared for the emotional roller-coaster.

I have my highs and I have my fair share of lows. Yesterday I got a very good news that I got A- in statistics. That is worth a big celebration, considering that I have had virtually no math background, whatsoever.

The joy didn't last long when I was faced with what seems like endless deadlines of endless papers. As I am struggling to keep up wit everything, I ask myself once again, whether I made the right decision. Would it have been better, I coined casually in my mind, if I'd just stick with my meditation and keep on trying to get myself enlightened.

The answer for that, I don't know. All I know is that I just have to keep my cool and stay "in the present," and that I have to learn to be able to pick myself up when I feel down. In the Tripitaka (พระไตรปิฎก), there is a saying "We have but ourselve to turn to."

How very true it is.

No comments: